• Meetings
<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 12 Apr 2018 10:12 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)

    6/10/14

    Metro Mountain Bikers

    Welcome by Chris McArdle &amp; Ron Stawicki

    Treasurer Report – no treasurer’s report this week.

    Fundraising – Sara talked about the raffle and the process for everyone taking raffle tickets. The raffle is in August and we are hoping to sell 500 tickets total. Sara will keep in contact via email with all selling tickets but money will be collected at our August meeting. Tickets are $10 or 3 for $20. Top sellers off raffle tickets will win a 29er wheel set provided by Ben’s Cycles. More Metro socks are still available at $10 for a pair.

    Volunteers – Trail day on Sunday afternoon at Oak Hill – thanks to the volunteers who showed up. Chris Cooper reported that no volunteer hours were loaded this month.

    Marketing – Posters were completed

    Social Committee – Harold commented that we are looking at dates for the Fall Social Ride, most likely in October 18. Tom Vomastic talked about a group going up to Cooper Harber or Brown County,

    Indiana. He’ll put a post up on Facebook about organizing a group. This upcoming weekend has a lot of great social events including the Fat Tire Tour of Milwaukee.

    Trails Council Meeting – no meetings lately. Milwaukee County Parks is contemplating a trail pass/permit for usage on trails. They are interested to know what’s going on the trails because there are all kinds of events or usage for things they might not be aware of and they are responsible for trail usage.

    Trail teams – Over 4 miles of Minooka trails are available and are in good shape and getting more riders all the time. Signage is still coming for the new loop. Tosa trails in good shape. This past weekend, volunteers worked at Oak Hill and got a lot of work done. Hoyt still needs a little bit of trimming. Alpha trails are in good shape as well.

    County Parks MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) - Harold discussed the MOU wording from the county. Chris brought up a suggestion made at the Regional IMBA summit about having something stronger in place then an MOU.

    Odd-Tuesday Rides – June 17 at Alpha at 6 pm.

    National Bike Patrol – Mike Crabb said they are in need of tubes. We have an amount ear marked for National Bike Patrol usage. Ron is going to get through Wheel &amp; Sprocket. There are new people in the Wausau area that are being trained at the WORS event this weekend. They are still looking for new people in Madison too.

    Harold discussed Biking with Barley on Memorial Day weekend – contact Harold if you’re interested.

    Regional IMBA Summit – discussion on contracts and insurance and other language suggested for use.

  • 12 Apr 2018 10:11 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)

    5/13/14

    Metro Mountain Bikers

    Welcome by Chris McArdle

    Treasurer Report – No report this month.

    Fundraising – we discussed having Metro socks for sale for $10. Sara Stum discussed the raffle that we and the prizes. Three prizes: $250 gift card from Wheel &amp; Sprocket, season pass for Rays, and a $1500 top raffle prize from Erik’s Bike Shop, plus, Sara has suggested getting an incentive prize from Ben’s Cyclery for the top seller of raffle tickets. At the June meeting, Sara will bring raffle tickets for everyone to start selling tickets. We’ve applied for two raffle licenses and are waiting for them to arrive by mail.

    Volunteers – Chris Cooper reminded everyone to email him their volunteer hours to get logged. We haven’t had many things planned or scheduled besides the Minooka Trail Work.

    Marketing – Derek T. discussed a volunteer opportunity offered and encouraged through his employer and suggested others look into that. We’ll post something on the Facebook page regarding the need for volunteers. Tom created a draft poster and needs the Board approval. Harold discussed that he and Marty start distributed posters in the past in May so we’d like to have the posters available soon. Chris McArdle has received our new Metro pop-up tent and we can start using for events. Chris will bring it to our odd-Tuesday ride next week at Hoyt so everyone can see it. Cody offered to donate business cards if someone else gets the graphics completed.

    Social Committee – Harold discussed our Spring social ride. We had nine people show up for the ride – the weather wasn’t particularly great. Fall social ride will be discussed over the next couple of meetings.

    Trails Council Meeting – Harold said they met last week (first week of May). Chris discussed getting everyone to use GPS and put on Strava to show usage of the trails.

    Bike Patrol – Mike has no new information. The Bike Patrol is still looking for new patrollers.

    Trail teams – Second loop finished at Minooka – about four miles of trail to ride. Ron says the trails dry pretty quickly. He’s also working on trail signs. Next three weeks continues trail work. Statewide Bike to Work week, Waukesha Bike to Work day next Wednesday 6 am – 9 am. 7pm on Wednesday for the Ride of Silence in Waukesha. There is also a Ride of Silence in Cudahy and others around the area.  Obviously, the weather has made the trails unrideable for now.  Regional IMBA Summit in Madison – this upcoming weekend May 17 – 18. Chris M and Marty are attending portions of the event. If you’re interested in going, Metro will pay a portion of the fee. There was a limit to the attendees, however.  Odd-Tuesday Rides start next Tuesday, May 20 at Hoyt Park, weather permitting.  Harold discussed Biking with Barley on Memorial Day weekend – contact Harold if you’re interested.  Wednesday Night @ the Rock – Racing will start June 4 through September (based on daylight). Metro has not committed to be involved at this point but future discussions are likely to happen.  Open Forum – Harold discussed Biking with Barley for Memorial Day weekend starting at Blue Mounds State Park – talk to Harold for more details.

    IMBA World Summit – if interested in attending, Metro will sponsor of portion of the fee.

    Wisconsin High School Cycling League - Kathy Mock, Co-Director of the League (along with Don Edberg of WORS), was here to discuss. There are four scheduled events during the season that runs from July through October. Wisconsin was the 11st state to join the national league. Milwaukee seems to be a hub of interest in the high school league. If you’re interested in more information, the contact information is www.wisconsinmtb.org, email is Kathy@wisconsinmtb.org.

    Metro is a sponsor for the Oak Leak Discovery Tour in Milwaukee. If interested, you can get the tour booklet at any of the golf courses and a few other locations around the area.  June Meeting will be back at Benno’s, 74 th &amp; Greenfield. If you have a suggestion for a future meeting location, please let Chris know.

    Events:

    Regional IMBA Summit 5/16 – 18 in Madison – we are looking for someone to attend this, contact Chris McArdle

    IMBA World Summit in Steamboat Spring, CO 8/20 – 24 – if anyone is going, please contact Chris McArdle

  • 12 Apr 2018 10:11 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)
    4/8/14

    Metro Mountain Bikers

    Welcome by Chris McArdle

    Treasurer Report - We have a number of recent purchases yet to clear for the new Metro socks and canopy, to name a few. General Liability insurance is in place starting Thursday, April 10 – needed especially for trail work. Insurance dictates no one under 12 at club events. New waivers for 2014 will be have to be signed at every club event – nothing really different here, however, some people hadn’t signed in the past. New waivers are not yet available but will be ready for next month. 

    Fundraising – working towards a raffle with more information next meeting.

    Volunteers – shirts are available and were handed out at the meeting. Ron Stawicki will be taking the Waukesha members shirts. The shirts are in high-vis color and say Trail Volunteer on the back so we should be wearing them during trail work times. Chris Cooper ran through volunteer hours and sign up

    for additional volunteer positions. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Chris Cooper. Ride for the Arts ride marshal program was discussed – three volunteer hours will be available for anyone who will commit to a ride marshal. Trail work season will be starting soon and we’ll need plenty of people to help.

    Marketing – Derek showed off the new Metro socks we’re selling for $10 each and he also discussed the newly-revised trail maps. Comments were made that a lot of people at the Expo were happy that the Minooka trails are available for riding.

    Social Committee – Social Ride on 4/26 will be leaving from St. Martins church parking lot in St. Martins with the ride being in that general area and moving southwest. Additional information will be posted at Facebook and our website.

    Trails Council Meeting – was held on March 13. Marty and Harold suggested inviting the County Parks Director to our next meeting in Milwaukee. They have both talked with him and Marty was invited for a sit-down meeting with him.

    Bike Patrol – Mike received a lot of inquiries at Expo and is hoping that generated interested that will get more volunteers. The Bike Patrol is now handling marathons, half-marathons, triathlons in additional to the trails and they are looking for additional people with a medical background who like to ride.

    Trail teams – Reminder that all trails are still closed. People tried to ride at the Southern Kettles this past weekend and were ticketed and fined. The question was raised about using Round Up on the Milwaukee County trails. We discussed hitting garlic mustard soon as that is normally the first thing that greens up. Minooka has a busy weekend coming up – Saturday, April 12 there is a Kohl’s Cares team coming (potentially up to 35 people) to work at Minooka at Noon in area 3 where the Rugby fields are. Going forward, trail work will be Sundays from 8 – 11. There will be some trail work happening at Estabrook Park that Harold will be leading.

     

    Wednesday Night @ the Rock – Marna joined us to discuss. Racing will start June 4 through September (based on daylight). The Rock bike park should be open – weather permitting – by mid-May. Marna is now the bike park operator for the BMX track. June 5 – 7 will be a huge event for BMX racing and The Rock will contact us if volunteers needed (they probably will need volunteers). The Rock is projecting the price for Wednesday racing at $15.

    Open Forum – Harold discussed Biking with Barley for Memorial Day weekend – talk to Harold for more details.

     

    Events:

    High School Mountain Bike League training event - April 26 – 27 at Trek

    Regional IMBA Summit 5/16 – 18 in Madison – we are looking for someone to attend this, contact Chris McArdle

    IMBA World Summit in Steamboat Spring, CO 8/20 – 24 – if anyone is going, please contact Chris McArdle

  • 12 Apr 2018 10:08 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)

    3/11/14

    Metro Mountain Bikers

    South Shore Cyclery

    Welcome by Ron Stawicki (Chris McArdle out of town)

    Club Financial Status – Insurance discussion

    501©3 status – Derek said that IMBA recommends that we get our own EIN. Marty said we have an EIN and he will be locating the information for this. Marty stated that this tax-exempt status was part of the IMBA deal as a chapter status. Sara Stum also recommended that we need 501©3 status as part of our fundraising. We will continue this discussion at our next board meeting.  MOU Discussion – haven’t scheduled meeting with the parks department. Trail council meeting is March 13 at 10 am.

    Updates from the Rock on the Wednesday night cross country races – none. South Shore Cyclery will also send an email to their contact at the Rock inquiring about the status. Metro’s new insurance will enable us to do racing for a fee but people would still have to be Metro members. Question was if any IMBA members could race or just Metro members. IMBA requires $500 for the chapter (includes $1 million umbrella), $4.75 per member per year, $2.50 inland marine coverage. Costs historically have been much less than that. Events like the Odd Tuesday right would require Metro membership. Question was if there were any other options for insurance? Insurance is not yet set for 2014.

    Committee Updates:

    Marketing – update on socks, shirts, flyers. Tom completed the flyers and now Waukesha parks needs to approve. Socks are ordered and should be here for the bike expo. We worked with the Bike Fed on the sock order. They will be available for $10. Brochures are ready to go as well.  Matt Gissibl from the Bike Fed showed us the new design available for mountain biking specifically and discussed how working with local bike shops can help drive sales. The Bike Fed sells their t-shirts for $25.00 retail at the local shops. The bike shops will order can order from the Bike Fed. Metro long- sleeved t-shirts are still available for sale.

    Fundraising Updates:

    We need the 501©3 status in order to hold our fundraising raffle.

    Volunteer Coordinators:

    Expo is the next big thing for us. We’re hoping the tent will be available for Expo. There are still a few times to fill with Metro volunteer and the schedule was passed around. Volunteer t-shirts still need to be ordered. We’ll need to inventory before and after. Cash box can go to Benno’s or with Derek for safekeeping. Trailbuilding will probably start later than normal this year due to the weather. Watch Facebook, Twitter, and email for dates. We’re still looking for ride marshals for the Ride for the Arts. 

    Social Committee – Spring Social Ride is April 26. At this time, the thought is to have the social ride leaving from St. Martens and ride towards Burlington on trails.

    Trail Team Updates:

    No updates

    Grant Park – there’s enough interest for trails in Grant Park. We still have to get the County Parks department to sign off in order to have official trails. We need a plan of where we want to ride and the Parks department would have to review. We would be adopting existing trails. South Shore Cyclery is working with their City of Cudahy departments and there seems to be interest in developing insurance.  We need South Shore cyclists and businesses to call Pat Jursik and offer their support.  Discussion of multi-use trails

    Amber from South Shore Cyclery said their Fatbike and Snowshoe race was awesome. They are going to be looking for ways to make it bigger and better for next year.  Port Washington/Ozaukee – city is putting in a new pump track near the skate park. Cedarburg trail at pleasant valley park 3 mi down 4.5 total finishing this summer. Ozaukee county parks department is trying really hard to get mountain biking trails on county parks land but it’s come up against huge backlash – according to residents at the meeting, mountain bikers are apparently into drugs and murders. Having support from mayor or aldermen has been a huge bonus.

    National Mountain Bike Patrol – Mike Crabb said the Wisconsin Bike Patrol is broadening their name to “just” bike patrol because they are patrolling other events like triathlons and marathons. They are looking for more people to get involved. TOaD has approached them but they don’t have to staff to help. They are also looking for people who have professional training as EMTs, nurses, doctors, etc. March 13 from 6:30 – 8:30 at Steinhafel’s conference room – Waukesha County Bike/Transportation Plans

    Upcoming Events:

    April 4 – 6 – Wheel &amp; Sprocket Expo

    April 8 – Metro Meeting @ Benno’s

    April 13 – Metro Board Meeting

    April 26 – Spring Social Ride

    May 16 – 18 - Regional IMBA Summit in Madison

  • 12 Apr 2018 10:07 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)

    2/11/14
    Metro Mountain Bikers
    Benno’s

    Welcome by Chris McArdle
    Meeting with Ozaukee was postponed and may be rescheduled in March or April.
    Active Business:
    Bike Fed t-shirts – Metro would get profits from local sales, but the question was if we could get Metro identifying information on it? Various opinions on the design and wording of the t-shirts, but some suggested they liked the wording Tread on Me showing on the t-shirt. Pricepoint was close to $15 for most to be interested in purchasing. Chris will contact Matt Gissibl of the Bike Fed for more information about the sales. Fundraising – a separate meeting was held to discuss. Marty discussed offering to the Parks Department that one of their staff members go to the IMBA summit in Colorado this summer and the fundraising effort to do that. We need approximately $2500 for carsonite signage for the local signs and a possible $500 - $1000 for the IMBA Summit. We also discussed Wednesday racing at the Rock in terms of fundraising. Volunteers:
    We passed around the sign-up sheet for Expo. Chris Cooper suggested getting a 10x10 pop-up tent to use at Expo. Chris McArdle will discuss with Collectivo about the vendor they’ve used and suggestions for a tent. There was a suggestion of getting a black canvas tent with white lettering. If anyone is interested in volunteering to be a ride marshal for the Ride for the Arts the process this year is to go to the website and sign up. Free entry, ride marshal t-shirt, and beer and food afterwards. The Ride for the Arts is the first Sunday in June.

    Marketing:
    Derek discussed and showed everyone the re-designed brochure to get Minooka trails included. Tom has to add copy for Minooka but otherwise it’s ready to go. Derek should email to Ron for Ron will show Waukesha County Parks staff. Derek also discussed socks. DeFeet minimum order of 6 dozen, our cost is $6/pair + $25 setup charge. $10/pair breakeven at 46 pairs. We may be able to partner with the Bike Fed, but we’re not counting on it. Sock Guy $5/pair, we have to order 10 dozen minimum + $50 setup.
    We can mix sizes to order as well. We discussed colors too. After initial order, can we order more?
    Derek will verify. We should continue the Metro branding and most liked the DeFeet option. Chris will ask Matt Gissibl of the Bed Fed for information on which style of sock sells more – tall or short? Order needs to be completed within the next couple of week so we have available for Expo. A suggestion was to sell at a different rate for signing up for an IMBA membership but no decision was made about that.
    Social Committee: Good turnout for tubing at the Rock on 2/8. Spring Social Ride is scheduled for April 26.
    Trails:
    Trail Meetings – meeting with County (Ramsey and Mark). Meeting again in two weeks to discuss Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for all three of the currently-approved trail systems. Every year

    we’ll have to have a new MOU to discuss the trail systems. No new trailbuilding until after May 15. No discussion on South Shore. Menomonee River Parkway meeting is scheduled by the Parks department for 2/12 at Mount Mary College. We discussed having Metro business cards available when doing trail work so we can pass our information on to people that ask about our work or want more details of our projects.
    Waukesha County:
    Nothing new at Minooka – but there has been a lot of fat biking going on. Nathan Guerra and Marty Tank have been talking to the land owners of Olympia Resort in Oconomowoc to develop mountain bike
    trails.
    Upcoming Events:
    Waukesha Bike Swap 2/15
    Fatbike race at Sheridan Park 2/22
    Regional IMBA Summit in Madison 5/16 – 18
    Marty spoke to Marna at The Rock and she said they would be doing Wednesday night racing again. We don’t have any other details. We need to find out the details and figure out who is going to do timing, pricing, etc.
    Open Business – is the club willing to support the Oak Leak Discovery Tour for about $100? Yes, we’ll sponsor.
  • 12 Apr 2018 9:23 PM | Metro MTB (Administrator)

    1/14/14

    Metro Mountain Bikers

    Benno’s

    Welcome by Chris McArdle

    Review of the some of the changes from the board meeting. Introduced new board members.

    Explained Functional leaders. Explained breaking out Trail Leaders differently.

    Active Business:

    Fundraising – Matt Gissibl from the Bike Fed explained some of the Bike Fed’s fundraising efforts by targeting bike shops. Talked about t-shirt sales. Chris Cooper will provide Sara’s email to Matt.

    Volunteers:

    22 people qualified for shirts in 2013. City Print said pricing pretty much the same as last year. Lesspeople qualified for a shirt than in 2012. 1700 volunteer hours total, 60 people total. Minooka being big volunteer-hour winner. Next meeting, we’ll be talking about working the metro booth at Expo.

    Marketing: Collateral and Signage and Mapping. Derek has Templates for sock guy. Old logo may not show up great on the socks. Might be worth sending anyway and see if the company can give us options. Will look into pricing per quantity. May look into DeFeet per Matt @ the Bike Fed. Matt explained how the t-shirts/socks work to sell at bike shops. Socks cost $5/bike shops re-sell for ~$12.

    Maps – working on posters and maps. Any dates to have ready for printing? We need brochures now.

    Derek committed to printing brochures. Chris will email Tom and have him send artwork to Derek.

    Do we have a separate map of the Alpha? What about Bubba’s Woods? Bubba’s not approved.

    Signage – Marty put link up on the Facebook page. Carsonite signs Social Committee: officially recognizing Odd Tuesday, Spring/Fall social rides, also a monthly ride at a trail system. May – August. May would be Minooka. Showcases the various area trails, try to get new people to ride the trails. We’re looking for more people to be a part of the marketing team. Derek put together a survey

    Trails: tosa trails are icy, Ron said he’s posting trail conditions Waukesha Bike Alliance facebook page and will post to Metro page as well South Shore – Harold brought up at the trails meeting. May not be accessible to mtn bikers unless people can speak to county supervisors, etc. Need to find a way to get it legitimized. Harold went to Port to the Ozaukee County group. 2 mi mtn bike loop wanted there.  Already have committed $60,000 a pre-fab pump track and a skills course near skateboard park. Hope to have approval for it by the end of March. Chris has reached out to this group to have a combined meeting. Ozaukee County is looking at a combined IMBA chapter with a number of bike groups in that area – all groups will operate independently and combine to form the chapter. At Hoyt MMSD will be taking out the steps and the carwash soon.

    County Trails Council – effort to encourage groups to prepare and develop trails within the county, City of Milwaukee has purchased two trail counters to getting data about trail usage. Ramsey wants to get moving on the memorandium of underwriting of bike trails 2/4/14. County Trails meets the 2 nd odd month at 10 am at the county parks building.

    Events:

    2014 Fatbike Access – 70 advocates attended – Hansi has a post about this event IMBA event is Jan 19 – 20 at Rays. If you go to Ray’s on Saturday you get Sunday free.  Waukesha Bike Swap - 2/15 proceeds go to Waukesha Bike Alliance not sold out yet 75 – 80% sold out.  Fatbike race in Sheridan Park

    Bike Expo – volunteers needed May 16 – 18 Regional IMBA in Madison @Trek will open up the Farm for riding IMBA World Summit in August in Steamboat Springs, CO. Club would like to pay registration fee for several people to go to the sessions and encourage Metro members to go as sort of club ride.

    February meeting will start 50/50 raffle for cash, tires, and metro t-shirt

    New business: Marty emailed Marna @ the Rock re: Wednesday night racing. We’d like to see a series like this continue but we don’t want to compete with the Rock and we’re not sure what their intent is. These event prices are based on insurance and county parks issues.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software